Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bon Appetit!

Yesterday my good friend Michelle and I communicated via email. We shared about our kids, husbands, ourselves, all things Halloween, and eventually what we were cooking for super that night. When I told her what I was cooking, she commented that I made her mouth watery, and requested the recipe... Here's to you Michelle~Bon Appetit!
Corn & Smoked Salmon Chowder-

Courtesy of "The New Basics Cook Book"

Their recipe doesn't ask for smoked salmon.

4 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch dice

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 cups chopped onions

2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour

4 cups chicken stock

2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice

1 cup half-and-half

4 cups cooked corn kernels, drained

3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

1 cup smoked salmon, cut to bite size pieces

salt to taste

1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice

3 scallions, white bulb and 3 inches green, cut into 1/4-inch slices

1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

  1. Wilt bacon in a large soup pot over low heat until fat is rendered. Add the butter and allow it to melt.

  2. Add onions and wilt over low heat for 10 min. Add flour and cook, stirring, another 5 min.

  3. Add the stock and potatoes. Continue cooking over medium-low heat until the potatoes are tender, 12-15 min.

  4. Add the half-and-half, corn, pepper, and salt. Cook 7 min., stirring occasionally

  5. Add the smoked salmon, stir.

  6. Add the bell pepper and scallions, adjust the seasonings, and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve, and garnish with cilantro.

Truelly tasty!


1 comment:

Michelle said...

I am Michelle, I am Michelle! Thank You my favorite friend. I am going to make this on Sunday!!!

Love you long time.