Monday, July 13, 2009

A Lesson learned

The intention this morning was to get a nice walk before the sun started crack-a-lackin', and picking up bagels at our neighborhood bagel shop, for breakfast.
 
This is what we looked like before we left the house; all smiles.  Estella asked if we could take her baby, that meant basket & stroller too; I gave in.



The intention was full filled, however--- we were only about 10 minutes into our walk, and I could already feel the hot sun on my back.  I heard Wally huffing-n-puffing,  and shortly after Estella asked to be picked-up.  I was tempted to turn around and go back home... but we were more than half way there.  I decided to go for it; I kept my cool, and I praised the child on how good she was pushing her baby on the stroller-- she was a proud & happy child.  We continued our little walk, and moments later I had a second request from my child to pick her up,  I praised some more, but this time it didn't work, the whining started (I started stressing out with the heat).  I quickly rushed us to some shade, I took a deep breath, and WE sat there for a moment.  I patiently dissembled her doll stroller, and stuffed it in my over sized canvas grocery bag... whew! that was a life-saver.  We had a little talk and carried on with our walk,  and little Estella decided she was a big girl, and walked her walk.  We ordered our bagels, had a refreshing beverage and bite to eat.  The walk back home went a lot smoother "Thank Goodness!"

We arrived home a little wilted, we guzzled down some ice-water, and enjoyed frozen yogurt.



Then we cooled off even more with some fun ice-cube painting... occasionally taking ice-cubes bites.



The lesson learned: Don't always give in, know when to pick your battles!



The infamous baby-basket stroller.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Good girl Estella for being a big girl and finishing the walk with mommy. We love you!